Monday, November 21, 2011

Autumn Jewels

Each season has its own palette of color.  Autumn has brought jewel tones to the garden.


The back fence is covered in amethyst from the Elliot's Aster, Symphyotrichum elliottii, which enjoys the boggy conditions of that area.


Bumblebees are drawn to the masses of one-inch blossoms produced by this Florida native plant.


Amethyst mingles with the topaz of Christmas Cassia, Cassia bicapsularis.


This color combo begins blooming the last of October and continues until early December.  As I am busy with holiday baking, I am able to enjoy viewing these Autumn garden jewels through the kitchen window.  

(If you would like to read more about Elliot's Aster check out this blog:  Native Florida Wildflowers.)

5 comments:

  1. Get out of here! I love that Cassia. I planted one last year but it did not return this year. BUT I found a seedling and potted itup and put it in the greenhouse, fingers crossed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo---I love those together!Great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treat to be able to have this beautiful combo as the view when you are working inside the house! We don't have many colorful autumn leaves like they have up north, but Florida provides some unique Autumn colors of its own!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darla - The thing that puzzles me on the ID for my cassia is that in the four years I've had it I've never seen a seed pod. Kinda' nice to not have a lot of seedlings to deal with but I wouldn't mind sharing if I ever get any.

    ChrisC - Thanks! I get a good combo going by accident every so often:)

    Ami - You're right that Florida has its own Autumn color. It's interesting to see the plants that shine in each season.

    Anonymous - Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for travelling down My Garden Path with me. I love hearing from you. Please leave a comment and share what is going on in your gardens.

NanaK