Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Orange Outgrowth


The color orange comes in many different hues.  The color I think of as true orange is the color seen on  the Orange Plume, Justicia spicigera.


This large shrub is the current favorite of the hummingbirds.  I'm hoping to be able to capture a photo of the little birds sipping from the tubular flowers but so far they have been too fast for my shutter.


The Amaryllis that have been purchased in the past few years from after Christmas stock at my local big box store are blooming like mad.  None of them resemble the picture on the box.  In fact, they are all different colors.


A single pinky orange and  this double bloomed light orange striped one were both supposed to be single rose pink blooms.  No problem for me that they aren't what was on the box.  I think they are both quite pretty.


Another orange with pinkish tints is seen in the blackberry lilies which are blooming away this spring.  I love this carefree plant that adds height to the garden and blooms throughout the year.


Last year I thought maybe I had purchased the wrong plant as blooms didn't appear until very late in the summer.  This year the Coral Honeysuckle is leaving no doubt that I did indeed purchase the right plant!  The hummingbirds love this one too.

There are quite a number of other orange colored flowers yet to bloom in the garden.  Some will be hitting their peak mid summer as some of the spring blooming flowers fade.  

8 comments:

  1. You've got so many pretty orange flowers in your garden right now. I haven't noticed any hummers on my amaryllis...caught one on the pineapple sage. I'll have to watch closer. I use a lot of orangey-red flowers in my garden because I like the bold color. Have a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Easter to you, Susan. I'm enjoying all the colors of this year's spring garden. I hopelessly planted everything all together. No color coordinating but I'm finding I like it.

      Delete
  2. I love your Coral honeysuckle, very pretty blooms.

    I've never seen the Orange Plume before. and they are very nice too.

    I like your blackberry lily blooms also. Mine are yellow.

    I keep hoping to catch the hummers with the camera but so far I haven't.

    Happy Spring gardening and have a wonderful Easter.

    Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fact that the coral honeysuckle is a native and the butterflies and hummers are attracted to it. The orange plume is in its second year and just this spring really blooming like never before. The flowers are not that showy, but the hummingbirds find them just the same.
      Happy Easter to you too!

      Delete
  3. Nice! You better take your vitamins if you are trying to capture those hummers! I started a couple of Blackberry Lilies from seed last year, hoping they bloom this year. The purple Firespike has rooted!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so glad to hear that firespike rooted! When it gets big enough to take some cuttings you will be able to get plenty more. You might try keeping some in a pot over-wintered in that lovely greenhouse of yours. Then you'll have blooms next year for sure!

      Delete
  4. My Coral Honeysuckle is growing and blooming like crazy,but I have yet to see any hummers on it.I think I just haven't taken the time to notice.My Blackberry Lilies have really gotten large.The warm winter we had?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year lots of plants are blooming earlier than I've ever seen them. I am quite happy we had such a mild winter :) I would love to be able to just sit outside for a few hours and see how many butterflies, bees, hummingbirds, and other wildlife visit my garden.

      Delete

Thank you for travelling down My Garden Path with me. I love hearing from you. Please leave a comment and share what is going on in your gardens.

NanaK