Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Purple Performance


The weather has been warm and wonderful for the garden.  A few rain showers have fallen even though this time of the year is usually one of the driest along the Suncoast of Florida.


Purple hues are flourishing from the sunny beds sporting deep purple eyes in the osteospermum alongside the lavender tones of lantana to ....



...deep purple firespikes lighting up the dappled shade under the oaks. 


One of the showiest irises here along the path is 'Regina.'  She is a royal purple shade and a very prolific bloomer in the Spring.  


Blooms appear on and off throughout the year and the strong strappy foliage grows in ever expanding clumps.  These clumps can be divided and more of this easy-care and cold tolerant beauty can be spread to other areas of the garden.  


Purple and Iris are practically synonymous.  These purple and white walking iris are loving the boggy conditions at the bottom of the hill in the backyard.  This past fall these plants were in standing water and they never skipped a beat.  Did I mention that this is a shady area along with being wet?  There haven't been many plants that have survived the conditions in this spot.  


Tomorrow hasn't come for the Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow bush.  It will though.  Today the flowers are deep purple, yesterday's flowers are now light purple, and tomorrow those flowers will be white.  Love this fragrant spring flowering bush.  Mine is planted in part shade and so is a bit spindly in growth habit, but the sweet gardenia-like scent is strong and wafts across the garden.  


Purple in many different tints and hues is putting on quite a performance in my garden this month.  Do you have some favorite purple performers in your garden?

8 comments:

  1. Sometimes gardening take away all my stress and make me relaxed, What I enjoyed he most in gardening is when its time for harvesting the crops or tending my beautiful flowers. I enjoyed more in gardening than being in the office doing some paper works :(

    Enah from Alachua Businesses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being outside in the garden is definitely a stress reducer. This time of year is the BEST when the air is still a comfortable temperature. I especially love seeing all the butterflies, bees and birds flitting around the flowers. Glad you could virtually visit my garden for a time instead of working on all that paperwork:)

      Delete
  2. I do love purple and use it often in the garden. It's been especially nice to have so many blooms from such a mild winter. I've really enjoyed the purple firespike this year. You're lucky to have gotten some rain...we are dry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just had a nice shower again this afternoon. My purple firespike is just about through but those blooms have really lasted a long time! I almost removed my two bushes after the last few winters as I didn't think I would ever get to see them bloom again. Glad I didn't do it now. I saw the first hummingbird since early winter enjoying those purple blooms.

      Delete
  3. The purples in your garden are so lovely, Kay! I, too, have a lavender firespike and I'm just now seeing it bloom after three years of moving it around to find it's happy place. The buds have been slow to reach their full glory, but we're there now and I LOVE it. ... I didn't realize the purple and white iris (walking African iris, I think they're called) like boggy and shady. Mine get some shade but a lot of sun and they're in sand soil. That makes me think we should ALL put them on our "good" list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Penny! I know what you mean about not seeing those purple firespike blooms the last few years. But, this year makes it all good. I'm glad to know those walking iris will do well in sun. My boggy area extends into the sun so, I just may have to try some there as well. My yellow walking iris died in the standing water last fall. But the purple/white ones loved it.

      Delete
  4. The purples are absolutely gorgeous, it is my favorite color and it just makes the garden perfect. The iris Regina is outstanding and all the photos are simply fantastic. I love getting out in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Tammy. I love 'Regina' too. That plant is so perfect for my shady garden and the blooms really show up well.

      Delete

Thank you for travelling down My Garden Path with me. I love hearing from you. Please leave a comment and share what is going on in your gardens.

NanaK