Sunday, April 17, 2011

Shady Corner


The branches of my grandfather oak meet with those of the neighboring oaks to create a very shady corner.  The filtered light that reaches down between the oak leaves gives a woodland feel to this spot. 


Differing leaf shapes and colors work together to create interest without the need for flowers.  The variegation, pattern, and shading of the leaves provides much to please the eye. 


Sometimes the only color needed is green.  All the tints and textures of just this one color can be enough. 


The emphasis here is on the foliage but there are flowers too.  Not with the abundance that are found in the sunnier areas of the garden, but flowers do bloom here.


But, with color like this who needs flowers? 


That isn't to say the ginger blossoms, yesterday-today-and-tomorrow blooms, and the various justicia plumes aren't appreciated when they lend their beauty and fragrance to the area.   They are all welcome treats that stand out against the background of foliage.


The pop of the occasional flower is nice, but all the textures, colors, and shapes of the foliage is what makes this spot special. 

11 comments:

  1. I can see why this spot is special to you, Kay. I love a shade garden especially one like yours that gets a little glint of sun. What are those magenta plants? They're gorgeous! I think I'd be planting them everywhere, but then I'm known for overkill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your shade garden. We have little shade here since losing several pine trees due to hurricanes and bugs.

    Happy Gardening ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice area..green is a color....

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many interests in your shady garden. All the foliage, texture and color made it a beautiful place to wander, especially in the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so lucky to have so much shade! I love the textures and color we get from shady foliage plants. Isn't it wonderful to see those caladiums popping up?!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kay,
    You are talking my language!!! Foliage and shade. A shady garden is so peaceful, too. The canopy of cool over all that beautiful plant life. It is looking really inviting under YOUR grandfather oak. You must be LOVING spring this year. (love the shoots of caladiums just about burst)
    Meems

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shady areas can be a challenge, but no garden should be without one. I agree different variations of green makes the garden sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sherryocala - The magenta plants are blood leaf irisene. I love them too. I am hoping they will get bigger quickly so I can take some cuttings to root more of them. They were unfazed by the winter so are on my "A" list.

    FlowerLady - Hurricanes are a concern for the trees. My garden would be entirely different if I lost any of my oaks.

    Darla - Yes, Green is great:)

    Ami - Oh yes, I love the shade in the summer heat. It is so much nicer to garden under the trees than out in the sun.

    Floridagirl - I was really worried about my caladiums but almost all of them have shown up now. I still have a lot missing in the front entryway bed that puzzles me. I planted some more just this past weekend so hopefully I'll get some popping up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meems - This year's spring has certainly been more fun than last. I've finally learned what does well in that corner, now I just need to get a bit MORE of those plants going to cover up the empty spots. It's going to take some time.

    Rusty - You're right about shade being a good component to have in any garden at least in one area. I've been learning to love my shade these last few years where before I just thought nothing would grow there. I had to learn the hard way about right plant, right place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kay...Your shade garden is coming together nicely...love all the different textures and various greens with the added pop of burgundy colors...very soothing. It's fun to create foliage beds...and we're lucky to have such wonderful plant material to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. NanaK, Green is great, shade plants are the best hardly ever have to water them.This Spring has been fun. Janis

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for travelling down My Garden Path with me. I love hearing from you. Please leave a comment and share what is going on in your gardens.

NanaK